Vyazemsky
Historical background
One of the first peasant villages in the district, Vyazemskoye, was founded in 1895. It was then that 17 households arrived and settled here, including 15 peasants - migrants and exiles, and two Cossacks. With their labor, they cleared and drained the occupied area, making it suitable not only for settlement, but also for farming. Further development of the settlement was caused by construction of the second line of the Ussuriysk line.
The design name of the settlement in 1894 was "Medvezhy" - after the bearish places, among which it is located. In 1894 the first wooden station was built at the station, and at the same time by order of the Governor-General N.I. Grodekov the station was named after the chief of the Ussuriysk railroad construction Orest Vyazemsky. Three small settlements sprang up near the station: a railway, a peasant and a Cossack village.. The settlements were then located in the deep Ussuri taiga, on the very border with Manchuria. The Cossacks had to shoot back from periodic attacks by the Chinese bandits of the Hunkhuz. No less trouble was caused by clashes with tigers, which were numerous here at the time, attacking domestic animals and people, especially in winter..
After the railroad was built (1897) Vyazemskaya station was considered the largest in the North-Ussuriysk section, but in fact its railway junction consisted of a section station, steam locomotive depot and small workshops. There were also barracks for the railway guard and a reception.
In 1899, four years after the actual founding of the Vyazemskoye village, the army administration of the Ussuri Cossack Army raised the question of establishing a Cossack settlement here, immediately relocating three Cossack families here, and petitioned for the official formation of a Cossack settlement here, Glenovsky, after the ataman. As the Cossack population increased, the latter began to forbid the peasants to use the arable land and hayfields, to take away their developed arable land.
This oppression of the Cossacks led to a number of petitions from the peasants to the local authorities for allotment of land to them. For its part, the army administration hurried to settle several more Cossack families of old-timers in the Vyazemsky settlement in 1900. Thus, the question of the fate of the Vyazemsky settlement was resolved by the local administration in favor of the Cossacks, with the renaming to Glenovskaya stanitsa. Resettlement peasants were given a choice either to stay in the village as outsiders, in other words - as tenants, or to move to a resettlement station Otradny, located 5 miles from the station Vyazemskaya. Thus, the settlement was divided into peasant (Vyazemsky) and Cossack (Glenovsky) settlements.
In the early years the permanent population of both settlements grew slowly. So, at the end of 1900 there were only 36 householders, including 17 peasants, eight Cossacks, and five exiled settlers. In 1907, Cossacks founded the village Chuprovsky, which was located north of Vyazemsky. By 1912, the new settlers had built 53 houses in Vyazemskaya. Twenty years after the founding, the population of Vyazemskaya consisted of 885 people, and the population of Vyazemskaya volost before the 1917 revolution was a total of 8179.
In 1924, after the abolition of the Cossack army, the villages of Glenovskoye and Vyazemskoye were united into one, which was named Vyazemskoye. In 1924, the Vyazemsky timber company was founded, and in 1928 the first seasonal tractor road was built. In the eastern part of the Vyazemsky District logging settlements appeared, such as Third Seventh, Spartak, Shumny, Medvezhy, Tigrovy, Pikhta, and others.
A narrow-gauge railroad ran from Vyazemskaya station deep into the taiga. Timber transportation increased from 50 thousand cubic meters in 1928 to 460 thousand cubic meters in 1936. After the startup of the Dormidontovsky timber plant (1931), the Vyazemsky District also became an important center of sawmilling. The development of the Vyazemsky District itself benefited from the development of its forest resources. A timber industry administration was located here, a large brick factory, electric communication workshops and a typical power plant were built, and a multi-sectoral artel and other enterprises were founded. The number of workers increased from 160 in 1917 to 2,272 in 1935. In 1938 Vyazemsky received the rights of an urban village. According to the 1939 census, the number of its inhabitants reached 12 thousand.
In January 1950, the Vyazemsk College of Forestry was opened. In the late 1960s and during the 1970s, the city's central neighborhood was built up with multi-story residential buildings. In the 1970s, Victory 30th anniversary square was built, where city and district events are held nowadays. In the 1970s and 1980s, new streets appeared.
Weather
21 ยฐC
cloudy with clearing | 2 m/s