Khimki
Historical background
There was a station (stop) Khimka on the St. Petersburg-Moscow route (714 km from SPb. and 14 of М., and later the village of Khimki - station of St. Petersburg highway, but it lay somewhat to the south of modern Khimki, opposite Aleshkin, in the area of modern factory "KiN" (now part of the Moscow district of Levoberezhny, district mass housing development Khimki-Khovrino, near the Pribrezhny proezd).
In 1812 in the village of Khimki located the French vanguard corps Eugène Beauharnais, attacked on the night of September 15 detachment of General V. D. Ilovaysky. Since the 1830s the district of Khimki became a popular dacha. In 1859 the number of its inhabitants of both sexes was 154 with 28 courtyards.
And on the territory of modern Khimki previously had villages Kurkino (before 1704 - Patriarch's village), Kozlovo, Kozmodemyanskoye (at the end of the XVI century the estate of Boris Godunov), Kireevo, the village of Red Hills and many others.
The beginning of the city was laid November 1 (13), 1851, when St. Petersburg-Moscow railroad station Khimki (now Khimki station) was opened, and with it appeared station settlement. Trains stood at Khimki for 10 minutes[19]. The station, on the 18th verst from Moscow, was the first from the city; it was assigned to the 4th class, and its staff was entitled to one cashier, one station master and his assistant, and one gendarme. At the station were built wooden platforms, a "hotel" (station), a railway box and a dwelling house for railway workers (preserved at Gogolya St., 5 - nowadays it houses some units of the Khimki Department of Internal Affairs). Near the passenger house there was a tent-buffet topped with a golden scallop. Around these buildings as far as the St. Petersburg highway was a thick oak grove (see "Journey from St. Petersburg to Moscow"). In 1869 in Himskaya station settlement 39 people lived permanently, mostly railway workers and employees. From the station to the St. Petersburg highway through the woods was a road - Czarskaya Alley (now Moscow Street), to the beginning of XX century paved with cobblestones. To the south, the station settlement was separated from the Kosmodemyansky village by the wooded wasteland of Krasnaya Gorka (the name of the village that once stood there) and a ravine. As the station settlement grew, it joined Kosmodemyanskiy, whose main street - Kuzminka (now Kirov Street) - rounded the ravine and reached the station. In 1860 at two summer houses near the station P. M. Tretyakov opened a school for deaf-mute children with 12 pupils, the first director of which was I. B. Arnold; in 1869 the school was named Arnoldovsky.
In 1907 the station settlement had 47 households. The village had a post office, a telegraph office, a private pharmacy (Klyachko, on Tsarskaya Alley), two colonial shops, an inn, and a restaurant with a bowling alley. Total population including surrounding villages and summer residences was 1500 people; in the summer population at the expense of vacationers was up to 5 thousand. In the neighboring with the station villages were schools: a one-class parochial school at Kosmodemyansky church, then also a three-class zemstvo school in the village of Kosmodemyansky. Mare's Puddle (now Rodionov Street).
Since 1912, an institution for the display of "foggy pictures" was opened. In Kosmodemyanskoye, on the bank of the Khimki River, in the estate of the merchant Patrikeyev "White Pillars" (the color of the pillars of the entrance gate) architect F.O. Shekhtel built a house - a brilliant example of architectural Art Nouveau style (after the revolution a sanatorium, then Hospital № 1, now therapeutic and endocrine departments of Khimki Central City Hospital (KhCGB)).
Until the end of the 1920s, Khimki as a whole retained the character of a dacha area. In 1923 the settlement had 1,805 permanent residents, and in 1926 there were already 2,876 people, they numbered (after merging with a dacha settlement Peter and Paul) 359 houses. A school, library, club, ambulatory were opened, a fire department appeared. The school of the first level was opened in 1919 by the former nobleman Vladimir Mikhailovich Bolotov, who refused from the state salary. In 1928 the school was transformed into the School of Peasant Youth (ShKM), Bolotov was the director and teacher at the school; it was located where the entrance to Tolstoy Park is located now.
From this time begins the industrial growth of Khimki. In 1928 a knitting artel was created, which later grew into a knitting linen factory. Due to increased construction, Nikolsky brickyard began to work all year round, not just seasonal; since 1931 it was reconstructed. At the same time a factory for making furniture was built. Artel of metal products "Spartak" became a big enterprise, and the village of artel workers turned into Spartakovskaya street. New residential settlements appeared: Lobanovsky, Chkalovsky, Tsentralny, Grabarovsky, Pervomaysky and Mebelny.
In 1932 in Khimki was founded aircraft repair plant № 84 GVF.
Since 1937 Khimki receives the status of a workers' settlement due to the beginning of construction of aircraft plant No. 301 in the city (now the Savochkin Scientific and Production Association named after S.A. Lavochkin). As of June 26, 1938 the settlement had 21 thousand residents.
In 1939, the first two multi-story stone houses were built on Moskovskaya Street.
After the construction of the Moscow-Volga Canal in 1932-1937 (now the Moscow Canal) in Khimki was created Northern River Port, on the left bank of the canal near the village of Kireevo settlement was formed Levoberezhny (1936). There, in 1936 the State Library Institute founded by N. K. Krupskaya in 1930 (since 1964 - the Moscow State Institute of Culture) was transferred from Moscow to the former dacha of Prokhorov.). Since the canal built the following year cut off the settlement from the Khimki station, at N.K. Krupskaya's insistence the Left Bank platform was arranged.
By the Decree of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR on March 26, 1939 the city of Khimki was formed comprising the workers' settlements of Khimki, Petrovskoe, Lobanovo, dacha settlements Petropavlovsk and Nikolaevsky. The new town had 23.1 thousand people. In 1940 Khimki became the center of the newly formed Khimki area.
Khimki turned out to be the closest point to Moscow to which the German troops reached. There is a legend that in the morning of October 16, 1941 a squad of motorcyclists suddenly appeared in Khimki, who seized the bridge of the Leningrad highway and were destroyed either near the bridge itself or near the streetcar turning circle at Sokolor at the Dynamo water station. The information about this long hidden event varies, moreover later there was another breakthrough of German troops to Khimki - several tanks destroyed by the anti-aircraft battery on the 23rd km of the Leningrad highway (on the place where the monument "Jerzy" stands now).. According to A.V. Isayev, these were motorcyclists of the 62nd Army Engineer Battalion. According to historian Anatoly Khorkov, the German motorized reconnaissance unit did go to the bridge, but it did not engage and was not destroyed, and, after inspecting the area, returned safely. According to other reports, on the contrary, the German motorized infantry was defeated by a column of tanks following to the front. According to other versions, on October 16 the Germans, having broken the resistance of hastily assembled militia of students, women, and even schoolchildren in Khimki, drove to Sokol, but not daring to enter the city, returned to the bridge and took up defenses until the supposed approach of the main forces, where they were destroyed the next day by the dragged troops. According to some sources, the Germans were destroyed near the bridge and the water station "Dinamo" by Separate Motorized Rifle Division of Special Purpose of the USSR NKVD named after F.E. Dzerzhinsky (17 tanks and a motorcycle platoon).
The date of November 30 is also called for the breakthrough of motorcyclists.
According to Paul Karel, "The motorcycle patrols of the 62nd Tank Engineer Battalion, originally operating as part of the 2nd Td, but on November 30 advanced by Göpner himself - before the head units of the 2nd Td - to strike at the Lobnya railway station and the area south of it, raced to their target on their motorcycles and, meeting no opposition, came to Khimki (...) eight kilometers from the outskirts of Moscow. After causing fear and panic among the local population, the motorcyclists turned back. These motorcyclists and sappers of the corps got the closest to Stalin's headquarters".. William Shearer recounts the following episode: "On December 2 a reconnaissance battalion of the 258th Infantry Division infiltrated Khimki, a Moscow suburb from where the spires of the Kremlin towers were visible; but the next morning the battalion was driven from Khimki by several Russian tanks and a motley band of hastily mobilized city workers." Perhaps Shearer has a confusion with the dates, arising from the fact that December 2 was the last German gust near Moscow, overgrown with legends. But it took place on the section of the 5th Army, that is, near Zvenigorod..
The bridge stood until 1980, when it was dismantled (despite the repeated protests of citizens, and especially war veterans), but not destroyed, but floated downstream. It now stands on the Ryazan Highway near the village of Chulkovo near the town of Zhukovsky.
According to the decision of the GKO of October 17 in Khimki began to hastily erect an "additional line of defense" on the Klyazma and Skhodnya rivers. At the end of November, the 20th Army, headed by General A. A. Vlasov, whose headquarters was located here, at Leningradskoe Shosse 16, was covering this direction.. On December 5, the 20th Army successfully launched a counteroffensive and liberated Lobnya; however, due to the personality of the commander, the military history of Khimki was hushed up throughout the Soviet era. At present, a memorial plaque has been unveiled on the site where the army headquarters was located.
In December 1941 the aircraft repair plant No. 84 of the GVF was completely evacuated to Tashkent.
In the 1950s, Khimki became one of the most important centers of the Soviet rocket and space industry. The city was home to the main enterprises of several research and production associations for defense purposes. Among them was KB Energomash that provided development of rocket engines for intercontinental ballistic missiles and launch vehicles for spacecraft. MKB Fakel was the leading enterprise in development of anti-aircraft missiles including missiles for S-75 Dvina, 9K33 Osa, S-125, S-200, S-300 and other anti-aircraft missile systems. NPO Lavochkin was engaged in development of surface-to-air and air-to-air missiles, cruise missiles and a wide range of spacecraft, including a lunar rover. In addition to the military and space direction, the city developed the direction of development of logging equipment. The head institute was the CNIIMOD, then the CNIIME (Moscow 21).
In the 1970s in the Levoberezhny Microdistrict, next to the Moscow State Institute of Culture, a 9-story building of the Lenin Library branch was built (newspaper, dissertation, and non-demanding literature departments). In the microdistrict of Novogorsk there is the main university of the Ministry of Emergency Situations - the Academy of Civil Defense of the Ministry of Emergency Situations of Russia.
In 1984, the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR decreed that a significant part of the Khimki District territory was transferred to Moscow, including lands around Kurkino, Molzhaninovka and Novo-Podrezkovo. As a result, the Khimki District was divided into two parts by the territory of Moscow.
The exhaustion of free and convenient for new construction areas in Moscow and the transport collapse that engulfed Moscow led at the turn of the XX-XXI centuries to the withdrawal to the near suburbs, including the territory of Khimki, a large number of offices, representative offices and other facilities of various commercial companies. Since the early 2000s, Khimki, as well as other suburbs of Moscow, is an area of mass residential development. A side effect of this was a transport collapse on the Leningradskoye Highway, which connects Khimki with Moscow.
In 2004, the population centers of the Khimki district were united. So on July 19 the dacha settlement Firsanovka and the village Uskovo were joined to the town of SkhodnyaNovopodrezkovo village, Kirillovka village, Skhodnya suburban settlement, Filino village - to the Novopodrezkovo working settlementThe villages of Yakovlevo, Trakhoneevo, and Svistukha were included in the village of Klyazma; the village of Terekhovo is part of the village of IvakinoThe dacha settlement Starbeyevo and the village of Vashutino were included in the city of Khimki.
On August 9, 2004 the workers' settlement Novopodrezkovo was annexed to the town of Skhodnyaand the villages of Ivakino and Klyazma to the city of Khimki.
Since September 15, 2004, the town of Skhodnya became part of the town of Khimki. As a result, after the abolition of the Khimki district and the formation of the urban district of Khimki in 2005, the city of Khimki remained the only settlement within the municipality..
In recent years, the city has become known for its movement to preserve the Khimki Forest. During the conflict over the Khimki Forest, a series of events occurred that were widely covered in the media, in particular the attack on Konstantin Fetisov, which resulted in the detention and conviction of city administration officials.
On July 28, 2010, the building of Khimki City Hall was vandalized by a group of young people who are considered one of the opponents of cutting down Khimki forest.
Weather
15 °C
overcast | 3 m/s