Armavir
Historical background
Since the beginning of the 18th century, Islam began to take root among the Adygs (Circassians), and for the Armenians who lived among them in the territory of the Northwestern Caucasus from the late 17th century, called Circassian Armenians ("Circassian Armenians", "Cherkesogai", "Cherkesokhai", "Mountain Armenians" or "Zakuban Armenians"), there was a threat of losing their national religion (membership in the Armenian Apostolic Church). At the end of 1836, "Circassian Armenians" appealed to the head of the Kuban line, the Russian German Major-General Baron G. H. von Sass, to "take them under the protection of Russia and give them the means to settle near the Russians".
In 1839, the settlement of Circassian Armenians (Cherkesogai) moved closer to the mouth of the Urup River. This year is considered the official date of the appearance of the new town. Aul was surrounded on three sides by a deep 2.5-meter wide ditch and a rampart. On the fourth side flowed the river Kuban, which became the natural boundary of Armavir. The boundaries of the settlement changed several times, as more and more families moved from the mountains. In the first years 120 families settled in the aul, and by 1840 their number had increased to 400. In addition to the Circassian Armenians (Cherkesogai), in the settlement lived a few hundred serf mountaineers (in 1859 there were 753 people). Life in the new place proceeded according to the same laws of clan life that they adhered to in the mountains. The settlement was divided into quarters in which families who had come from the same auls settled.
In 1875 the Vladikavkaz railroad was laid through Armavir. In 1876 the aul received the status of a village.
Since 1888 Armavir was the center of Labinskogo department of the Kuban region. In 1908 began construction of the Armavir-Tuapsinsk railroad.
March 23 (April 5), 1914 "The highest approved by the Council of Ministers" the village was transformed into a town.
During the Civil War and military intervention in 1918-1922 there were fierce battles in the area of the city, the power changed three times. The local Soviet government put the Armavir ruble into circulation.
March 16, 1920 the 2nd Taman cavalry regiment of the 7th Caucasus Division, commanded by I. G. Chursin entered the city, and Soviet power was finally established in Armavir.
From June 2, 1924 to June 20, 1936 the city was the center of Armavir district, while until July 23, 1930 was the center of the Armavir district of the North Caucasus region.
August 7, 1930 the city was referred to the category of cities of territorial subordination. Since 2005, Armavir - the center of the municipality "The City of Armavir" with the status of an urban district.
Weather
25 ยฐC
variable cloudiness | 3 m/s