Volzhsky
Historical background
Judging by the presence in relative proximity to Volzhskoe of the Paleolithic site of primitive people Sukhaya Mechetka, dating back to the Mousterian period, the first humans appeared in the area 75-100 thousand years ago. Researchers collected bones of bison, saiga, and mammoth, suggesting the presence of these animal populations in the area during the Paleolithic period.
According to the Kurgan hypothesis dominating in modern science, since times of the top Neolithic in territory of Northern Caspian and the Lower Volga region, including territory of Volga, the culture of early Indo-Europeans (ancestors of modern Slavic, Germanic, Celtic and Italian peoples, Y-chromosomal haplogroups R1a and R1b) was formed, From there they, within several millennia populated Europe, assimilating pre-Indo-European autochthonous Neolithic tribes (Y-chromosomal haplogroup I1 and I2). According to the Kurgan hypothesis, it was in this region that the horse was domesticated, the wheel was invented and the first Indo-European language appeared.
During the Copper and Bronze Ages, the territory of the city was occupied by the Yamnaya culture, which was later replaced by the Srubna culture.
During the Iron Age in the region (including the territory of the city of Volzhskiy) there were sites of the Savromats, Sarmatians and Huns, numerous artifacts and mounds have been discovered in our time.
Around the first century AD the northern caravan branch of the Great Silk Road from Bactria passed through the territory of the city of Volga. The choice of the place was due to the convenient crossing of the Volga and Akhtuba.
The Sarmatian domination was ended by the invasion of the Huns in the second half of the fourth century AD.
In the XI-XII centuries, the local steppes were inhabited by numerous Kipchak tribes.
As part of the Great Steppe, the Lower Volga served as a gateway leading from Europe to Asia, through which the upper branch of the Great Silk Road passed. In the Middle Ages, the lands of today's Volgograd region were part of such large state formations as the Khazar Khaganate, the Golden Horde, the Don Army and the Moscow Kingdom.
In the XIV century there were several Golden Horde settlements on the site of the city of VolzhskiyOne of which was located in the area between Volzhsky Park and the City Children's Hospital.
Not far from Volzhsky, on the Akhtuba River, near the village of Tsarev in Leninsky district was the capital of the Golden Horde - the city of Sarai-Berke (New Sarai).
Later, detachments of Nogai, Kalmyks and Karakalpaks roamed here, interfering with the appearance of the sedentary population. From 1634 the Kalmyks regularly located the khan's stake of Montokhoy in the area of modern Kilyakovka. Tsaritsyn commandants tried to relocate the rate of Kalmyk khans down the Akhtuba River, but finally it was possible to do so only after the death of Peter I.
Early attempts at silk farming in 1729-1756 (private enterprise of Simbirsk merchant Dukhov) and in 1756-1764 (public enterprise of the Astrakhan Garden Office) led to the organization of mulberry plantations and the settlement of the first two settlements in the upper Akhtuba former fugitive peasants.
Since 1757, on the site of the city (its southwestern part) there has been a village BezrodnoyeAlso known as Verkhnyaya Akhtuba or Verkhne-Akhtubinskiy settlement. The name of the village, presumably, came from the runaway people who settled here - people "without descent". The founders of the village - Lieutenant of Austrian Serbian-Slavonian Pandora regiment, located in the territory of Hungarian crown, in the Russian service with the same rank since 1748, since 1752 director of the Astrakhan Garden Office, Major since 1759 Ivan Andreevich Porobich (Parobich), a Serb by nationality, a great specialist in viticulture, and Lieutenant Ivan Yeremeevich Tsypletev (1726-1797), later commandant of Tsaritsyn, its brave defender from the army of Pugachev. At the call of Parobich earlier years living illegally among the Cossacks of the Tsaritsynsk watch line fugitives began to settle on the bank of the river Akhtuba. However, specialists in silkworm breeding did not go to Akhtuba and construction of the plant was frozen until better times. Under Catherine II in the years 1765-1766 a silk mill was built on the territory, now occupied by Volzhsky. In 1764 the territory of the plant was transferred from the Garden Office to the provincial office, and in 1766 began intensive construction of the plant in the area of modern Kilyakovka upper. In 1800 the factory was closed.
The village then lay parallel to the Akhtuba River, from the present village of Rabochy to the Loginov Stadium. Further on, up to the river port area, there were rare gardens, and the villagers lived in separate yards.
By 1917 in the village lived about 20 thousand people.
The village suffered heavily during the Battle of Stalingrad.
As a village Bezrodnoye existed until the end of the 1950s, when the last of its residents moved to new buildings Volzhsky.
Today, the village of Bezrodnoye is reminded only by a few buildings of old architecture. Among them is the picture gallery, or rather, the parish office of the village of Bezrodnoye, built in 1881 and the former steam mill, built in 1911, which is located at Sovetskaya St., 2a.
The impetus for the establishment of a new settlement on the site of the village of Verhnyaya Akhtuba was the construction of the Stalingrad hydroelectric power plant. Fyodor Georgiyevich Loginov, who is considered to be the founder of the city, was appointed head of the construction organization "Stalingradhydrostroy", which carried out this construction. The builders were placed in the homes of the villagers. Construction management was also transferred from Stalingrad to this place. Later "Stalingradhydrostroy" was renamed "Volgogradhydrostroy". This construction organization carried out the construction of the city, including industrial enterprises. Also "Volgogradgidrostroy" participated in the construction of the memorial complex on the Mamaev Kurgan in Volgograd.
On the construction of the Stalingrad hydroelectric plant and the village worked about 20 thousand prisoners of the Akhtubinsk correctional labor camp (part of Stalingradgidrostroy USSR Interior Ministry; the camp existed until May 1953). Prisoners were involved in the construction of residential houses, social and cultural facilities, water supply and sewerage on the left bank of the Volga.
On January 9, 1951, they began digging the foundation pit for the first stone house. By the end of the year, eight houses were delivered. One of them was converted into the "Znamya" movie theater, the first one in the city.
Volzhsky was registered as a settlement in 1952. At that time it had a population of 10 thousand people. In June 1952 the first department store was opened. At the beginning of 1953 a bakery was built. In the summer of 1954 opened the hospital, maternity hospital, an infectious diseases hospital.
July 22, 1954 by the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the RSFSR Volzhsky village was transformed into a city of Volzhsky regional subordination, in connection with the construction of the Stalingrad hydroelectric power station (1950-1961). This date is celebrated annually by Volzhskis as City Day. At that time 30 thousand people lived in the city.
In January 1955, the second movie theater opened - "Energetic".
In March 1956 - Palace of Culture "Volgogradgidrostroy.
August 1, 1955 began receiving athletes and spectators at the Central Stadium, later named after the founder of the city F. Loginov.
In June 2010, the anthem of the city of Volzhsky (words and music by Eugene Kryukov) was approved.
Weather
35 °C
clear | 4 m/s