Taldom
Historical background
The exact origin of the name of the city has not been established. The hypothesis of Finno-Ugric origin of the name is widespread; Finno-Ugric languages have a number of words with the root "tal" (talo - house, talus - "household," etc.).
On old maps, in particular on the map from the Atlas "Geographical description of the Volga River from Tver to Dmitrievsk for the voyage of Her Imperial Majesty along this river", compiled by I.I. Stafenhagen in 1767 there is a variant spelling of Taldom. Oma in Karelian and Vepsian languages means "edge", "land".
In the story "Bashmaki" (about the village of Taldom), M. M. Prishvin refers to the versions of the Taldom priest of the early XX century M. Krestnikov. According to one of them: "taldom is a Tatar word and means parking lot", another: "taldom is Finnish and means yellow land". According to the common people's version: "taldom - became (new) house".
It was first mentioned in written sources in 1677 as the village of Taldom with seven yards and 38 male souls, belonging to Archbishop Simeon of Tver and Kashin. Due to the small land area, the local inhabitants were mainly engaged in skinning and leather crafts.
Till the middle of the XVII century Taldom was a part of Kimr palace volost of Kashin uyezd, after the liquidation of the volost - in Belgorod station of Kashin uyezd; together with Kashin uyezd in the beginning of the XVIII century it became a part of Uglich province. Presumably in the beginning of the XVIII century (not later than 1717) Taldom village became a village. During the secularization reform of 1764 the Taldom estate of the Archbishop of Tver and Kashin was transferred to the College of Economy as an economic volost with the center in the village of Taldom. The transition of Taldom to the category of "economic settlements" promoted the development of crafts and trades in Taldom and the volost, in particular, shoemaking. After the urban reform of 1785, Taldom, as well as the entire Taldomskaya volost, was included in the newly created Kalyazinsky uyezd of Tver province among other right-bank Kashinsky lands.
One of the main occupations of Taldom residents in the XVIII-XIX centuries was shoe making. In the XVIII century here they produced mainly "bricks" - men's shoes, in which a layer of clay was laid between the sole and insole. Then the production of shoes was improved (production of Ostashevskiy type of shoes or "Ostashas"), by the middle of the XIX century Taldom shoemakers produced pleather and velvet fur shoes. After the abolition of serfdom The influx of labor force and the growing demand for shoes further promoted the development of the shoe trade in the Taldom district. Taldom becomes the center of shoe trade. If at the beginning of the XIX century in Taldom fairs were held twice a year, by the end of the XIX century these fairs turned into regular weekly trades, attracting numerous buyers of shoes from all over Russia.
Through the efforts of a group of merchants of Taldom in 1901, the Moscow-Savelovo railroad was built not away from the village, as originally planned, but directly through the village, which gave an additional impetus to shoe production and trade in Taldom. In 1907 the export of leather shoes only by railroad from Taldom station amounted to 31000 poods or 350000 pairs. Besides shoe production there were developed tailoring, skinning and felting trades, logging for firewood and timber. There were 180 shoe workshops, 5 wholesale shoe warehouses, an oil mill, a steam mill, 2 sawmills, 4 brick factories, a shoe factory (since 1910) in Taldom and the district. At that time in Taldom there was a post and telegraph office (in 1912 it got its own building)), a free public library (since 1896), a free for Taldom residents zemstvo hospital with surgical-therapeutic and infectious diseases buildings, with an outpatient clinic and service apartments for medical staff (as of 1906), a network of paramedical and midwifery stations in the villages of the district, 2 zemstvo and 1 church-parochial school, and since 1906 a two-part ministerial school, a children's orphanage for 21 children, a fire brigade with a four-way fire wagon and a brick calancha, an inn, a tavern, 12 tea houses, 4 beer houses and 1 state wine shop. Street lighting was organized in 1907. In 1916, a cinematograph was opened in Taldom on cooperative principles. The cooperative movement in the 1910s was widespread in the Taldom district - by 1917 there were 29 cooperatives. Most of these cooperative organizations were part of the Dmitrov Union of Cooperatives. In 1916, only the Taldom branch of the Dmitrov Union of Cooperatives sold 2 million rubles worth of Taldom shoes.
In the late 19th - early 20th centuries, a number of stone buildings were built in the village by private individuals and the village society - both commercial establishments and residential houses (one of the latter, owned by merchant Volkov, now houses a historical and literary museum). With the financial assistance of large shoe merchants, the Taldomsk Village Society paved the trading square with cobblestones, opened a brick fire station with a calancha, which was used for its intended purpose until the end of the 1970s. Two other merchant houses, requisitioned in 1918, still house the district administration.
After October 1917, the first passenger car in Taldom (scrapped in the summer of 1918) was purchased in March 1918 "for the needs of the IKa" with the money received from the "extraordinary one-time tax on property" of 2 million rubles. From the same funds in March 1918 the construction of the city power station was started (started to work in 1923), at the end of April printing equipment was purchased and in "rented for 600 rubles per month 3-storey stone building of Klychkova's workshop" a printing house, a binding workshop and a bookstore were organized. Already on May 1, 1918 the first issue of the newspaper "Peasant and Worker" printed in this printing house was published.
By the decision of the Presidium of the Tver provincial executive committee of December 3, 1918, the village of Taldom was renamed Leninsk, and Taldomskaya volost was renamed Leninskaya. In response to the "petitions of the population" adjacent to Leninsk and economically connected with it by the production of shoes volosts of Tver, Moscow and Vladimir provinces, August 15, 1921 by the decision of the All-Russian Central Executive Committee formed a new Leninsky district in the Moscow province with the center in the city of Leninsk.
During the years of the Civil War and War Communism, the shoe trade of the residents of Taldom sharply declined. It was only during the NEP years that artisanal clog production began to revive, but it did not reach its former scale. As the NEP was winding down, the clog trade shrank again, and by the mid-1930s it disappeared completely and definitively. In 1923 the electrification of the city was realized.
In 1929-1930, during the period of district administrative division, Leninsk (Taldom) belonged to the Kimr District of Moscow Oblast.
In November 1930, after another reorganization of administrative division, two districts named Leninsky appeared in the Moscow region, and Leninsk (Taldom) was renamed Sobtsovsk, in honor of the local "expropriator of expropriators" Nikolai Sobtsov, who was killed in May 1918 during the anti-Bolshevik hunger riot in Taldom. However, the name "Sobtsovsk" lasted less than half a year - it was not approved by the central authorities because of the dubiousness of Sobtsov's Bolshevism. In March 1931, the city was returned to its historical name of Taldom; the district, accordingly, became known as Taldomsky.
In 1962 Taldomsky district was reduced and merged with Dmitrovsky district, but in 1965 it was fully restored as an independent district
The head of the city is simultaneously the head of the Taldom Urban Settlement.
- since 2005 (not later than 2005) Grigory Stepanovich Miroshnichenko (United Russia)
- since 08.09.2013 Yury Vitalievich Zhurkin (CPRF)
Weather
16 °C
overcast | 2 m/s