Historical background
The area along the Sheksna River has long been called Poshekhonye by the old name of the river - Shekhon, and until 1341 was part of the Yaroslavl principality.
In 1565, when Tsar Ivan the Terrible divided the Russian state into oprichnina and zemshchina, the city became a part of the latter and was in it until 1569.
In the XVII century there was a village in the place of the modern town of Poshekhonye Pertoma (Finno-Ugric name, after its location on the river Pertomka, flowing into the river Sogozhu - a tributary of the Sheksna). Since 1680 it housed the voivode's office. This time is characterized by the following record: "Poshekhonsky is only a district, but there is no town".
In 1777, by decree of Catherine II, the village was renamed into a town Poshekhonye and was included in the Yaroslavl viceroyalty. In order to strengthen the administrative role of the city, there were opened here present offices, city magistrate, town hall and other institutions: zemstvo, district, orphan and word courts, police and prison stockade. The coat of arms of the city was approved: "In a golden field crossed, two green toothed stripes: in the middle in a silver shield coat of arms of Yaroslavl viceroyalty." The two toothed stripes are also the toothed St. Andrew's Cross.
Since the XVIII century in Poshekhonie the goldsmithing industry - making the finest sheets of gold leaf and silver - was developing. Crafts developed: by 1862 there were 30 establishments: 6 bakeries, 3 tailors, 5 shoemakers, 4 carpenters, 2 goldsmiths, 10 smithies. By the end of the XIX century the city had a candle-wax factory, five tanneries, a coarse mill, and three gold and silver mills.
Before the October Revolution in the city developed tanneries with steam engines of merchants Shalaev and Dubov, shipbuilding workshops of Kopotikhov, two distilleries, sawmill, mills.
In 1918 the town of Poshekhonye was renamed to Poshekhonye-Volodarsk in memory of revolutionary figure V. Volodarsky. During the years of Soviet power Poshekhonye-Volodarsk became the center of a large agricultural district. New enterprises of local and cooperative industry for processing raw materials and agricultural products, butter and cheese factory, flax factory, fish factory appeared. The city trains specialists for agriculture at the technical college and collective farm school, where children of collective farmers of the whole northwestern region study.
In the spring of 1941, after the Rybinsk Reservoir was created, the landscape of the city changed. There appeared large water spaces that came close to the city center, part of the territory was under water. The city had new opportunities for communication by waterway not only with regional cities, but also with Moscow and Leningrad, which increased passenger traffic and cargo transportation, increased fishing opportunities, increased power system capacity.
In 1992, the city was given its name back Poshekhonye.
Weather
14 °C
overcast | 3 m/s