Historical background
In 1913, the construction of the railroad connecting Nalchik and Kotlyarevskaya stations was completed. Simultaneously with the completion of the railway, a small railway station was built three kilometers west of the village of Nizhnee Dokshukino, at which a new settlement was founded. The new settlement and the station were namedย Dokshukinoย (Kabard.-cherk.ย Dokyushykuey.), in honor of the Dokshukin princes who owned these lands.
Initially, the new settlement consisted of one administrative office and two service personnel houses. Since 1917, people from the surrounding villages began to move to the station.
In 1920, with the final establishment of Soviet power in Kabarda, all Kabardian villages were renamed, due to the presence in their names of surnames of princely and noble families. The only exception to this list was Dokshukino station, which was left with its former name. However, other villages belonging to princes Dokshukin and also bearing the name ofย Dokshukinoย (present-day Stary Cherek and Kahun), were renamed like all other settlements with "princely" names.
In 1921 the station received the status of a settlement, which was registered as a settlement with administrative subordination to the Kakhun village council.
In 1928 the settlement was transformed into an independent settlement with a separate settlement council. From that time the population of the settlement began to grow sharply. So, in 1929 in Dokshukino lived only 160 people, and in 1934 the population already amounted to 2240 people.
On November 9, 1938 Dokshukino received the status of a working settlement.
During the Great Patriotic War, in November 1942 the village was occupied by German troops. It was liberated in January 1943. In memory of the fallen soldiers, several monuments were erected in the town.
In 1944, the district center of Urvansk district was moved from the village of Stary Cherek to the settlement of Dokshukino, which contributed to the further growth of socio-economic potential of the settlement.
On June 16, 1955 the settlement of Dokshukino received the status of a city and by the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the RSFSR was transformed into a city of republican subordination.
In 1964 Dokshukino was transferred back from republican (ASSR) subordination to district subordination.
In 1967, Dokshukino was renamed Nartkala. The name "Nartkala" consists of two all-Caucasian words - "nart"(heroes-godatyrs of the national epics of many Caucasian peoples) and "fecesNartkala", which means "city". In other words, "Nartkala" means "the city of Narts" or "the city of bogatyrs".
Weather
27 ยฐC
clear | 2 m/s