Historical background
Klintsy settlement was founded in 1707 by Old Believer peasants (Epifanovshchina). The first to settle on the bank of the river Turosna was a peasant Vasily Afanasyevich Klintsov, who fled from the Kostroma district in 1707. After him, several more Old Believers, hiding from persecution, settled here in the forest thicket. A small sloboda soon grew up. It was named after its founder.
In 1782 Klintsy became a town in Surazhsky district. At the same time several printing houses were opened there which mainly published liturgical old-believers' books. Polygraphic development contributed to high literacy of Klintsy population.
In 1782-1796 Klintsy were part of Novgorod-Seversk viceroyalty, and in 1796-1802 - in Malorossiysk province. Since February 27, 1802 the village Klintsy - in Chernigov province, Surazhsky district.
Beginning in the 1830s in Klintsy appears textile production, which gradually became the most important branch of industry in the city. By the end of the XIX century more than 90 % of textile industry of Chernigov region were concentrated here. The town of Klintsy was called "Manchester of Chernigov province".
Electricity in Klintsy first appeared at the factory of I. P. Mashkovsky in 1886. According to the census of 1897 in the town lived 12,166 residents, including 2,605 Jews.
In 1900 the suburb was electrified, there were 10 cloth factories, three stocking mills, 11 tanneries, two iron foundries, one linen factory, one oil-factory, two soap factories, three brickyards; several branches of different banks, a post office, a telegraph, a drug store, three commissary offices, five churches: Ascension and Trinity Uniate, Petropavlovsk Orthodox, Pokrovo-Nikolskaya, and Transfiguration Old Believers; three synagogues. Outside the city there were two Old Believer monasteries (Krasnoborsky Ioanno-Predtechev monastery, or "Polosa", and Nikolo-Pustynsky monastery). In 1916, "Klintsy newspaper" starts to come out in Klintsy. There was a railroad station Klintsy.
In 1918 under the Brest Treaty the town was part of the Ukrainian People's Republic, Chernigov Province, Surazh district. Since July, 11th, 1919 it was a part of Gomel province of the RSFSR, Surazhsky district. Since 1921 the Klintsy settlement became a county center in Gomel province.
In 1925, Klintsy received city status. In December 1926, from the disbanded Gomel province to the Bryansk province was transferred Klintsy district. On January 14, 1929 the town of Klintsy was part of the Western region of the RSFSR, where it was the center Klintsy district and Klintsy district. In 1936, Klintsy - a city of regional subordination. Since October 19, 1937 the town of Klintsy was part of the Orel region, and since July 5, 1944 is part of the Bryansk region.
During the Great Patriotic War, the city was occupied by Nazi troops from August 20, 1941 to September 25, 1943.
In 1986, the territory of Klintsy and Klintsy district suffered from radioactive contamination as a result of the Chernobyl accident.
In the year of the 300th anniversary of the founding (2007) on the alleged site of the origin of the settlement, a monument in the form of a bell with the image of the family of the founder of the city.
Since 2016, a military base has been under construction in Klintsy.
Weather
23 °C
overcast | 3 m/s