Gavrilov-Yam
Historical background
The first written mention of the village "Vora, Gavrilovo too."located 7 km from the Rostov-Suzdal tract, dates back to 1545. Mentioned in the lists of the Trinity-Sergiev-Varnitsa monastery, which at that time belonged to. At that time the village had only 7 households.
During the XVI-XVIII centuries, the village changed its name and status several times: the village Gavrilovsky Yam (decree of 1580 on behalf of Tsar Ivan the Terrible), Gavrilov-Yamskaya Slobodavillage Gavrilov-Yam (after the construction of the church at the end of the 18th century)
In the early 1870s, local merchant Alexei Vasilievich Lokalov from the village of Velikoye opened a textile manufactory in the village, which ensured the rapid growth of the small at the time village.
Administratively the village was part of Stavotinskaya volost Yaroslavl County.
August 5, 1922 the presidium of the Yaroslavl City Executive Committee gave Gavrilov-Yam township status. A decade and a half later, on December 26, 1938, by the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the RSFSR Gavrilov-Yam township was transformed into the city of Gavrilov-Yam.
In 1968, the city opened a machine-building plant, an object of defense significance, formed on the basis of a subsidiary of the Moscow Mechanical Plant "Banner of the Revolution.
Weather
16 °C
light cloudiness | 3 m/s