Historical background
The lands along the Usozha River were actively distributed to servants during the reign of Mikhail Fedorovich Romanov (1613-1645). Fatezh, as well as many other villages of Pousozhye, appeared in this period as a settlement of servants - Odnodvorets (ethnic Cossacks-Cherkasses). The name is presumably Circassian. At the same time the name "Fatezh" was given to the brook flowing into the Usozha River. Area Fotizhskoye upstream in Usozhsky camp is mentioned in Kursk refusal books of 1641-1642.
At the end of the XVII century Fatezhans erected a defensive bastion on the bank of the then full-flowing Usozha river.
In the XVIII century Fatezh was a settlement protected from all sides: it was surrounded by the Fatezhik brook from the north and east, the Usozha river from the south, a swamp from the west, a rampart and a moat were built from the swamp to the Fatezhik brook. There were 2 earthen pyramids like towers on the rampart, and a bridge over the moat.
According to the decree of Catherine II on the formation of Kursk province on May 23, 1779, the village of Fatezh was transformed into the district town of Fatezh. January 8, 1780 was approved the coat of arms of the town of Fatezh, drawn up by heraldmeister Volkov. In the upper part, as it should be, was placed the Kursk coat of arms. And at the bottom depicted a shield, divided in two: in one part in a red field gun, and in the other - in a green field golden harrow. As the heraldmeister felt it his duty to emphasize, the inhabitants of Fatezh were ancient warriors, practicing in their free time in bread-making, in connection with which in the city coat of arms the military tool and the tools of a careful farmer are combined. At the end of XVIII - beginning of XIX centuries in Fatezh were traded in hemp, grain, honey, lard and wax. Agriculture and trade remained the main occupations of the population until the end of the XIX century.
In 1856 there were 5 churches, 309 houses, 112 shops in the town. In 1897 there were 2 orthodox stone churches, women's progymnasium, 2 elementary schools, zemstvo hospital. In the XX century in Fatezh developed production, including hemp spinning, built factories for processing local agricultural products, but the economic recovery was cut short by the Civil War.
On September 13, 1919 the town was taken by the advancing to Moscow units of the 2nd Kornilov Strike Regiment of the All-Yurdish Yugoslav Army. On November 5, 1919 the red cavalry of the Chervon Cossacks under the command of Primakov raided Fatezh and captured the town.
During World War II, the German 3rd Tank Division of the 2nd Tank Army broke through the Soviet defenses northwest of Mtsensk, and the 18th Tank Division occupied Fatezh. The town was occupied by Nazi troops from October 22, 1941 to February 7, 1943. In the Fatezh district (not far from the city) was located the headquarters of the commander of the Central Front, Colonel-General K. K. Rokossovsky.
In 1966, the village of Ulyanovka was annexed to the town, and in 1987, the village of 2nd Chaplygina was annexed to the town.
In 2005, the administrative building on Uritskogo Street, where composer Georgy Sviridov was born, was reconstructed for his memorial museum.
Weather
19 °C
cloudy with clearing | 2 m/s