Historical background
The city of Krasny Kholm originally arose as a trading villageย Savior on the Hill. Documentary chronicles first mention the village in 1518, when Prince Simeon Ivanovich of Kaluga granted it as a gift to Antoniev Monastery. In 1764, Empress Catherine II issued a decree on the confiscation of monastic land, and the village of Spas on the Hill ceased to be a monastic fiefdom and was transferred to the department of the State Collegium of Economy.
In January 1776 the village was given a new name -ย Red HillThe city, with simultaneous transformation into a city and district center of the Tver Viceroyalty. There is a legend about the origin of the name of the city. It says that once the empress, passing by this place, was struck by its beauty: the city, located on a hill, buried in greenery and flowers - and commanded to call it from now on Red, it means Beautiful Hill.ย 10ย (21) October 1780 the coat of arms of Red Hill was approved.
Since 1796 Krasny Kholm - a provincial town of Tver province, at first Bezhetsky district, and then (from 1803) - Vesegonsky district (in 1918, Krasnokholmsky district was restored and existed until 1924).
The inhabitants of Krasny Holm were engaged in agriculture and handicrafts; there was considerable trade (flax, eggs, hides, leather, shoes). In the town and among the surrounding peasants were developed shoemaking, leather production.
Since 1929 the city is the center of Krasnokholmsk district of the Moscow region, since 1935 - the Kalinin region, since 1990 - the Tver.
Weather
13 ยฐC
overcast | 3 m/s